MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, October 27, 2014
Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt picked up another 1-0 win, while Jerome Kiesewetter gave Stuttgart II the three points with a late goal.

FC Ingolstadt 04 1 - 0 1. FC Heidenheim

Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt recorded their fourth straight 1-0 win in league play when they hosted Heidenheim on Sunday.

Morales start in central midfield for the Schanzer, who now lead the 2.Bundesliga by five points.

Ingolstadt broke the stalemate in the 41st minute, when Daniel Da Costa brought the ball to the right side of the 18-yard box and passing to Roger in the box. With his back to net, Roger laid the ball back to Lukas Hinterseer, who dribbled a little to his left before squeezing a shot inside the right post for a goal.

After that point, the Schanzer turned to their defense to see out the rest of the match, especially in the second half when Heidenheim pressed for an equalizer. Still, the away team didn't trouble Ramazan Özan's net much, and Ingolstadt picked up the win.

The Schanzer travel to Fortuna Düsseldorf on next Friday.

SV Sandhausen 1 - 1 Erzgebirge Aue

Andrw Wooten and Sandhausen rescued a point on Sunday in a tie with Aue.

Wooten started and went the distance at striker for Sandhausen.

After a first half with little action, Aue came out in the second half firing, scoring in the 57th minute. On a counter, a Sandhausen defender managed to stop the progress of Frank Löning, but the ball rolled to Romario Kortzog, who curled a shot from the left to the right side of the net.

Sandhausen answered seven minutes later off a set piece. Leart Paqarada launched a 22-yard free kick from the right to the far post, where an unmarked Florian Hübner headed it home inside the six-yard box.

The match opened up for the rest of the second half, but the teams could only seem to create half chances - nothing to really trouble both goalkeepers. Thus, the match ended in a draw.

Sandhausen returns to action next Friday against Karlsruhe.

SpVgg Unterhaching 0 - 1 VfB Stuttgart II

Jerome Kiesewetter fired Stuttgart II to a win over Unterhaching on Saturday in 3.Liga action.

Kiesewetter started and went 89 minutes on the right wing for the Schwabben, which stretched its unbeaten run to four matches.

The match began with both teams staying very compact in defense, keeping the chances to a minimum. Unterhaching almost took a lead in the 35th minute through a Pascal Köpke effort, but Stuttgart defender Timo Baumgartl cleared it off the line to keep it scoreless heading into the break.

The second half continued with the same play, as neither team went forward on offense much. Unterhaching attempted various long balls to get behind the defense, while the Schwaben attempted counterattacks that failed at the last second.

That play changed after the hour mark, with Unterhaching creating a few goal-scoring opportunities, only to waste them. Stuttgart II, meanwhile, made the home team pay for wasting the chances in the 78th minute. Raphael Holzhauser's 19-yard free kick slammed into the post, and the rebound bounced to Kiesewetter, who slotted it home from a short distance.

Unterhaching couldn't recover, and Stuttgart picked up the three points. With the win, Stuttgart II moved into 12th place with 21 points, and the Schwaben return to action next Saturday against Dortmund II.

Chemnitzer FC 0 - 0 Holstein Kiel

Marc Heider's Kiel and Chemnitz showed their defensive prowess in a goalless draw on Saturday.

Heider stated and went the distance on the left wing for the Storks, who stretched their unbeaten stretch to six matches.

The match started out slow, and outside of a few chances in the 24th and 26th minutes, not much of note occurred in the first half. Chemnitz came out in the second half with a little more impetus going forward but still failed to create a great goal-scoring opportunity.

Chemnitz's best chance to score came in the 73rd minute when Fabian Strenzel fell in the box off a challenge with a Kiel player, but the referee kept his whistle silent. Kiel, meanwhile, discovered why Chemnitz has allowed the least goals in the 3.Liga, as the Storks couldn't muster anything in the final third in the closing minutes.

With the draw, Kiel stayed in 11th place, and the Storks return to action next Saturday against Bielefeld.


John Anthony Brooks was an 84th minute substitute Saturday in Hertha BSC's 3-0 win over Hamburg, for which Julian Green played the final 24 minutes in the losing effort.

Joe Gyau missed Dortmund's 1-0 loss to Hannover at home on Saturday and Dortmund II's 1-1 tie with Rostock on Sunday as he continues to recover from surgery on his left knee.

Tim Chandler couldn't play in Frankfurt's 5-4 loss to Stuttgart on Sunday with a minor adductor injury.

Fabian Johnson came on in the 81st minute and played the final nine minutes in Mönchengladbach's goalless draw with Bayern Munihc on Sunday.

Terrence Boyd played the final 14 minutes in RB Leipzig's 2-0 win over Bochum.

Royal-Dominque Fennell was an unused substitute in the Stuttgarter Kickers' 2-2 tie with Energie Cottbus on Saturday.