MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, September 22, 2014
A trio of Americans picked up draws in Bundesliga action, while Andrew Wooten scored another important goal in a win for Sandhausen.

SC Freiburg 2 - 2 Hertha BSC

John Anthony Brooks and Hertha BSC escaped the Black Forest with a point as the Old Lady tied Freiburg on Friday.

Brooks started in central defense for the third consecutive match and went the distance in the tie.

Following an opening half an hour in which both teams were mostly passive, Freiburg opened the scoring in the 31st minute off a corner. Jonathan Schmid sent in his corner to Marc-Oliver Kempf, who beat Brooks to the ball easily and headed the ball into the back of the net.

Hertha answered just five minutes later after Oliver Sorg fouled Genki Haraguchi in a dangerous spot. Ronny stepped and curled a 25-yard free kick into the top right corner, leaving Freiburg goalkeeper Roman Bürki motionless on the line.

That scoreline held until the 79th minute, when the home team retook the lead. Vladimir Derida let loose a cross from the right wing to Karim Guede in the middle of the 18-yard box. Being bodied up by substitute John Heitinga, Guede laid the ball off to Felix Krauss, whose shot curled inside the right post for a goal.

Freiburg believed it had a win in the bag, especially after Nico Schulz picked up a straight red card in the third minute of stoppage time, but Ronny spoiled that dream three minutes later. The Brazilian shot low from 23 yards away and may have gotten some help from a deflection before it passed Bürki to his right.

With the draw, Hertha finds itself in 15th place, and the team returns to the German capital Wednesday to take on Wolfsburg.

FC Schalke 04 2 - 2 Eintracht Frankfurt

In a bizarre match that saw three men sent off, Tim Chandler and Frankfurt blew a two-goal lead in Gelsenkirchen to Schalke on Saturday.

Chandler started at right back and went the distance for the Eagles.

In the 15th minute, Frankfurt took the lead thanks to a little help from Schalke. Eintracht left back Constant Djakpa sent in a cross from the wing to Schalke's Kevin-Prince Boateng, who accidentally directed the ball toward the Royal Blues' net. Goalkeeper Ralf Fährmann blocked it from going forward, but he redirected it to the path of Alexander Meier, who tapped it into the back of the net.

Marco Russ doubled Frankfurt's lead in the 24 minute with a solid display of individual play. Russ dribbled around his defender and came in from the right wing before launching a shot inside the 18-yard box that went into the top left corner.

The Royal Blues got back into the match and pulled one back in the 40th minute thanks to a penalty kick. Slobodan Medojevic committed a handball trying to block a centering pass in the box, and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting beat Frankfurt's Kevin Trapp down the middle on the penalty kick.

Schalke didn't take long to equalize in the second half, needing just five minutes into the restart before collecting goal No. 2. Unmarked, Julian Draxler came into the middle of the box to meet a Choupo-Moting cross and headed the ball to give himself a great present on his 21st birthday.

When it looked like the match was heading for a dramatic end, the Royal blues lost their heads and went down two men. First, Boateng picked up a second yellow card in the 61st minute for a tactical foul, and then 10 minutes later, Draxler was upset with Carlos Zambrano and kicked at the Eintracht defender, earning him a straight red card.

The Eagles couldn't take advantage of Schalke's mistakes in the final half an hour, though, and even had Medojevic record a second yellow and his marching orders in the 85th minute for a tactical foul. Thus, in the final five-plus minutes, the teams played 10-v-9.

With the tie, Eintracht dropped into 12th place, and the Eagles next play rival Mainz on Tuesday.

1. FC Köln 0 - 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach

Fabian Johnson and Mönchengladbach couldn't break down a stout Köln defense in the Rhein Derby on Sunday.

Johnson started and went the distance on the left wing for the Fohlen.

In the first half, Mönchengladbach enjoyed more of the possession (66 percent to Köln's 34 percent), but neither team seemed to create much in the way of anyway. Thus, the match was scoreless heading into the second half.

The second 45 minute wasn't any better, as Mönchengladbach couldn't break down the Köln defense, while the Billy Goats looked dangerous on the counter. Still, neither team found the back of the net, and the match ended in a draw.

The Fohlen now sit in seventh place and return to action Wednesday against Hamburg.

VfR Aalen 0 - 1 SV Sandhausen

For the second match in a row, Andrew Wooten scored the match-winner for Sandhausen, this time against Aalen on Friday.

Wooten started at forward and went 88 minutes for Sandhausen, which has won its past two matches by the same scoreline.

After a rather drab first half, Aalen had an opportunity to take a lead early in the second half when Sandhausen's Lukas Kübler felled Aalen's Nejmeddin Daghfous in the box in the 47th minute. Leandro stepped up to take the penalty, but Sandhausen goalkeeper Manuel Riemann blocked the attempt to keep the match scoreless.

Sandhausen didn't look threatening for much of the match, but on the team's first real opportunity, Wooten gave Sandhausen the lead. Near the endline on the left wing, Timo Achenbach sent in a cross past the far post where Wooten volleyed it toward the net. Aalen goalkeeper Jasmin Fejzic got a leg to it, but the shot still went inside the right post for a goal.

With the win, Sandhausen moved into 11th place, and SVS next hosts 1860 Munich on Tuesday.

TSV 1860 Munich 1 - 1 FC Ingolstadt 04

Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt dropped a couple of points at Bobby Wood and 1860 Munich on Saturday in the Löwen's "Wiesn-home match" to mark Oktoberfest celebrations.

Morales started and played the entire match in central midfield for the Schanzer, while Wood came off the Sechziger bench for a 13-minute cameo.

Ingolstadt dominated the early going and took the lead in the 16th minute. Morales had time and space on the left wing, and the German-American midfielder connected with a wide-open Pascal Groß in the middle of the box. Groß headed the ball into the right side of the net for the goal.

The Schanzer's goal seemed to awaken Munich - at least for a few minutes. The Löwen created their lone goal-scoring opportunity in the 20th minute and capitalized, as Valdet Rama sent in a long cross to the right post that Rubin Okotie volleyed into the net from six yards out.

Not much happened for the rest of the first half, but in the second half, the away team created a couple of chances in the opening minutes that called 1860 goalkeeper Stefan Ortega to action.

Ingolstadt continued to look the team more likely to score the match-winner in the final half an hour, but in the end, the teams had to settle for a draw.

Ingolstadt fell out of the top spot in the 2.Bundesliga standings and into second, while 1860 Munich also dropped a position into 12th place. Both teams return to action Tuesday, with Ingolstadt hosting Aue and the Sechziger travelling to Sandhausen.

Holstein Kiel 0 - 0 SV Wehen Wiesbaden

Marc Heider and Holstein Kiel ended a two-match losing streak with a goalless draw against Wiesbaden on Saturday in 3.Liga action.

Heider started and went the distance on the left midfield for the Storks, and the German-American also recorded his first yellow card of the season in the 66th minute.

Both teams squandered solid chances in the opening minutes of the match, but outside of the first five minutes, the first half passed by with little of note.

The same could be said of the second half until the 89th minute, when Wiesbaden had the best opportunity to break the deadlock. Luca Schnellbacher beat Kiel goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm, but Stork defender Manuel Hartmann cleared it off the line to save a point for his team.

With the tie, the Storks held onto 15th place, and they next travel to Regensburg on Wednesday.


Julian Green played the final 14 minutes for Hamburg against his parent club Bayern Munich on Saturday in a goalless draw.

Joe Gyau dressed for Dortmund's first team but didn't play in the Schwarzgelben's 2-0 loss in Mainz on Saturday.

Terrence Boyd missed RasenBallsport Leipzig's 2-1 loss to Union Berlin on Sunday as he continues to recover from a knee injury.

Jerome Kiesewetter played the final 22 minutes in Stuttgart II's scoreless tie against Chemnitz on Saturday in 3.Liga action.