SCOTT PETERSON - Monday, December 3, 2012
It was a rough weekend for Americans in Germany's top flight as only Jermaine Jones and Schalke picked up points, while Bobby Wood opened his professional account in the 2.Liga for 1860 Munich.

FC Schalke 04 1 - 1 Borussia Mönchengladbach

Jermaine Jones and Schalke split the spoils at home versus Mönchengladbach Saturday afternoon thanks to a late equalizer through Julian Draxler.

Jones paired up with Roman Neustädter in the Schalke midfield, where the duo put in a full 90 minutes.

After just four minutes, the scoreline looked a lock to read 1-0 for the hosts, but Lewis Holtby could not convert Julian Draxler's feed from six yards out.

The first 45 ended with visual dominance by the hosts, who, despite being far and away the more threatening of the two teams, had nothing to show for their efforts.

The opener fell to the guests in the 62nd minute. Schalke defender Joel Matip turned the ball over to Torben Marx, who laid off for Igor De Camargo. The Argentine slotted the ball coolly past Schalke keeper Timo Hildebrand for the lead.
The goal was also the first shot of the game for Gladbach.

With just over five minutes to play, Schalke found an equalizer. Peruvian midfielder Jefferson Farfan found a streaking Timmo Pukki in the box. The diminutive Finnish striker then crossed one-time to the back post for Draxler, who netted with the inside of his right boot.

Jones and Schalke are on the road next Saturday, as they head south to take on VfB Stuttgart.

Bayer Leverkusen 1 - 0 FC Nürnberg

Timmy Chandler started at right back for Nuremberg, who was felled by a first-half Stefan Kießling strike, despite being the better team for much of the contest.

Chandler put in a full day's work for head coach Dieter Hecking and the Franconians.

The match started brightly for both teams, with Leverkusen's Hajime Hosogai and Nuremberg's Timo Gebhardt wasting promising chances early in the contest.

Nuremberg came tantalizingly close to opening the scoring in the 30th minute as Chandler found Sebastian Polter unmarked in the box, but the German's effort hit the underside of the crossbar before eventually being corralled by keeper Bern Leno.

The hosts struck pay dirt in the 37th minute through Kießling, who got separation from his defender to get off a right footed shot from 14 yards out that beat Rafael Schäffer for the day's only goal.

Nuremberg only had themselves to blame for not grabbing any points as Mike Frantz and Hiroshi Kiyotake squandered excellent scoring opportunities in the 50th and 51st minutes respectively.

Chandler and Nuremberg host Fortuna Düsseldorf next Saturday when the Bundesliga resumes.

FSV Mainz 2 - 1 Hannover 96

Steve Cherundolo captained Hannover on Saturday versus Mainz, as the Lower Saxons dropped the contest despite playing nearly the entire second half with a man advantage.

Cherundolo made his third start in a row for Hannover, playing the maximum 90 minutes.

The hosts took an early lead, as Shawn Parker's half volley caromed off the inside of the left post and out to Nicolai Müller, who cleaned up from close range in the tenth minute.

Hannover pulled level in the 28th minute through Christian Schulz, who was in the right place at the right time to finish off a scrum in front of goal.

Mainz was reduced to ten in the 48th minute after keeper Christian Wetklo handled the ball outside the box to thwart a Hannover attack. Referee Günther Pearl had no choice, but to show the German netminder a straight red.

Despite the disadvantage, Mainz took the lead late on through Adam Szalai, who put a glancing head past Hannover keeper Ron Robert Zieler in the 89th minute.

Hannover and Cherundolo will look to get back in the win column next week then the Lower Saxon outfit hosts Bayer Leverkusen.

1899 Hoffenheim 1 - 4 SV Werder Bremen

It was a day to forget for Daniel Williams, Fabian Johnson and Hoffenheim, who were crushed by Bremen thanks to a hat-trick by Marko Arnautovic.

Johnson and Williams both went the distance for Markus Babel, who, already on the hot seat before the defeat, will in all likelihood be out of a job sooner than later.

Bremen got on the board first in the 20th minute as Belgium midfielder, and Chelsea loanee, Kevin De Bruyne floated a free kick into the area and onto the head of Sebastian Prödl, who skied high and headed home from ten yards out.

Just eight minutes later Hoffenheim keeper Romeo Casteels was beaten again. Williams had his errant pass picked off deep in his own half. After some one touch passing, De Bruyne found Arnautovic in the box and the Austrian slotted home with a left-footed effort.

Sehad Salihovic fired Hoffenheim to within a goal in the 50th minute, as the Bosnian was picked out by Roberto Firmino in the box. The Bosnian then curled his shot around Bremen keeper Sebstian Mielitz to give the home team a glimmer of hope.

All hope of a comeback, however, was dashed in the 72nd minute as Arnautovic added his second on a spectacular free kick from just outside the box, before capping off his hat trick by finishing off a one-two with Joseph Akpala in the 79th minute.

Hoffenheim and the American duo will look to get back on track on Friday, when they travel to Hamburg to take on the HSV.

VfR Aalen 1 - 1 1860 Munich

Bobby Wood was handed his second start in a row for Munich on Friday, and the Hawaii product came up big, scoring his first professional goal to secure a point.

Wood put in 90 minutes of work up top for Munich, his second straight match, in which his logged maximum minutes.
The hosts grabbed the lead in the 62nd minute after Robert Lechleiter's looping volley glided past 1860 keeper Gabor Kiraly and into the back of the net.

Munich did not wait long to mount a response.

Wood collected the ball some 40 yards from goal, skirted past a couple of defenders, before he cut inside to his right and let fly from 20 yards. He caught the ball flush, but keeper Jasmin Fezjic looked to make a hash of it, letting the ball in.

Wood will look to make it three starts in a row for Munich next week, when 1860 travel to Regensburg on Sunday.

SpVgg Unterhaching 2 - 2 SV Darmstadt

Preston Zimmerman and Darmstadt were held by Unterhaching on Saturday, despite the American scoring twice.

Zimmerman, who put in his third consecutive 90 minute effort on Saturday, opened the scoring early.

Danny Latza picked up the ball on the right flank and crossed for Zimmerman, who collected and curled home a close range effort for the lead after just two minutes.

The hosts equalized late thanks to a Florian Niederlechner penalty in the 77th minute.

Zimmerman fired the Lilies back in front a mere 60 seconds later, this time impressively converting a scissor kick from ten yards out.

Niederlechner, however, pulled Unterhaching level in the second minute of stoppage time after the German converted Andreas Voglsammer's cross for the final 2-2 scoreline.

Zimmerman and Darmstadt remain in last place with 16 points, three adrift of safety. Up next for the Hessians is a home date versus Babelsberg on Saturday.


Joespeh Gyau was an unused substitute for Sankt Pauli's 1-0 victory over Kaiserslautern Friday night.

Andrew Wooten was a late substitute for Sandhausen, who picked up a road point versus Aue.

Matthew Taylor served game one of a three match suspension for his red card last week as Munster knocked off Burghausen 2-0.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.