DAVID SMITH - Friday, November 2, 2012
Charlie Davies earned his first start for Randers in their win at Vejle while both Michael Parkhurst and Conor O'Brien saw their Danish Cup runs come to a crashing halt.

FC Nordsjaelland 2 - 3 FC Midtjylland

Michael Parkhurst and Nordsjaelland were unable to knock Midtjylland out of the Danish Cup for a fourth straight year, falling victim to a late goal in the final minutes of overtime.

In the three previous editions of the competition, The Wild Tigers were responsible for ending the Wolves' dreams of lifting the trophy, however revenge was in order in Farum on Wednesday evening.

Midtjylland took an early lead in the 10th minute when Marco Larsen took advantage of a fine run and setup from teammate Kristian Bak, and put his shot away.

Nordsjaelland struck back quickly when Mario Ticinovic sprinted through the defense and nailed his shot, however the Wolves struck again in the 35th minute when Petter Andersson drew the attention of the defense before hitting Larsen in the middle for an easy finish.

With the game winding down and looking to be the final payback for the visitors, the Wild Tigers made things interesting as Henrik Kildentoft sent in a cross which Kristian Lindberg nailed to the upper right corner for 2-2.

In the overtime period, neither team could effectively break through and the game looked headed to the dreaded penalty shootout, however Midtjylland midfielder played the hero, hitting a shot from distance, and giving his team the final 3-2 win and a place in the quarterfinals.

Nordsjaelland will return to action on Saturday when they visit Conor O'Brien and SønderjyskE.

Vejle BK Kolding 0 - 1 Randers FC

Charlie Davies was in the Randers starting lineup for the first time since arriving at the team, playing the full 90 minutes as they narrowly beat their hosts Vejle.

After playing a bit role as occasional second-half substitute so far this season, Davies started up top for Randers in Vejle, and put in a strong 90 minutes alongside Pierre Boya.

Davies was close on a 23rd-minute header, however the breakthrough came at the half hour when he sent Boya into the penalty area, where the former Cameroonian international was knocked over for a penalty.

Chris Sørensen stepped up to the spot and buried the kick, giving Randers the lead.

The visitors dominated their lower-division hosts for the remainder of the game, and while they couldn't break through to lengthen the lead, the Vejle had little hope of fighting back.

Randers will play in the next round of the Danish Cup in late-November, but first return to league action, beginning with a home game on Sunday against AC Horsens.

SønderjyskE 0 - 3 FC Copenhagen

Conor O'Brien were helpless to stop the Copenhagen juggernaut, allowing a trio of goals in Thursday night cup action.

After a back-and-forth first half, Copenhagen grabbed the lead when Danny Kwasi Amankwaa was left with too much space in the area to turn in a cross from Christoffer Remmer in the 35th minute.

Then seven minutes after the break, Amankwaa turned provider, setting up Brazilian forward Cesar Santin for the 2-0.

The hosts continued to fight for a way back into the game, but were finally done in with four minutes on the clock as Pierre Bengtsson created space to send in a cross for Andreas Cornelius to put away.

O'Brien and Co. will return to action on Saturday when they host Michael Parkhurst and Nordsjaelland.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.