DAVID SMITH - Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Michael Parkhurst returned from international duty to help Nordsajelland earn a big win over Silkeborg while Conor O'Brien's assist was not enough to prevent a SønderjyskE loss at Aalborg.

FC Nordsjaelland 3 - 0 Silkeborg IF

Michael Parkhurst was a 73rd minute substitute for Nordsjaelland, who notched a home win over Silkeborg thanks to a furious seven-minute goalscoring explosion.

The Wild Tigers kept the pressure on Silkeborg from start to finish, but just couldn't find their way onto the scoreboard until a late flurry turned a frustrating scoreless draw into a blow-out win.

In the 72nd minute, on-loan Dutch forward Joshua John provided their opener, firing in a cross from the left flank for Morten Nordstrand to head powerfully into the net.

Parkhurst entered the game in the following minute, and the goals continued to come for the hosts.

Center back Jores Okore connected on a corner from John for an unreachable header to bring the score to 2-0 in the 75th, then four minutes later Andreas Laudrup made it look easy with a low shot from the edge of the area that skimmed just inside the right post.

The victory sees the Wild Tigers finish the weekend's round of games in third place. They will quickly return to action, hosting Italian champions Juventus on Tuesday, then welcoming Aalborg in league action three days later.

Aalborg BK 2 - 1 SønderjyskE

Conor O'Brien played the full 90 minutes in SønderjyskE's central midfield on Saturday, assisting on their lone goal of the afternoon in a late loss to Aalborg.

Not even eight minutes into the game, a perfect through-ball from O'Brien sent Lasse Vibe through on goal, where he was toppled by Jakob Ahlmann to set up a spot kick. Vibe unfortunately could not capitalize, placing his attempt too close to center where Nicolai Larsen could easily make the stop.

O'Brien was again on the mark to help his team take the lead after 72 minutes, heading the ball down into the penalty area directly in front of Niels Lodberg to smack into the net with a no-look blast on the turn.

Their lead lasted only three minutes, as Patrick Kristensen was the beneficiary of a Kasper Kusk through ball, sliding the ball inside the near post for the equalizer.

Then Nicklas Helenius Jensen earned the win for the hosts, first doing well to pull down and control a pass from Anders Due, then placing his shot just out of Hakon Opdal's reach for the 2-1 winner.

This second straight loss for SønderjyskE leaves them in eighth place. They will visit FC Hjørring in Danish Cup action on Wednesday, then head to Esbjerg on Sunday for Superligaen play.


Clarence Goodson was a last-minute scratch from Brøndby's gameday squad due to illness, and missed their 1-0 loss at local rivals FC Copenhagen.

Charlie Davies finally returned to the field for Randers after several games of inaction, coming on for the final six minutes in their 1-1 draw at Aarhus.

Neither Brad Rusin nor Shawn Nicklaw were called into action for Køge on Sunday afternoon for their 2-2 draw at Fredericia.

Mike Jones did not feature for Hjørring, who earned a 1-1 draw at AB Copenhagen on Sunday.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.