JOHN KRETLOW - Monday, September 10, 2012
Mike Grella and Scunthorpe United notched their first point of the season in their draw with Sheffield United, while Frank Simek and Carlisle United were victorious over Hartlepool United.

Scunthorpe United 1 - 1 Sheffield United

Mike Grella started and played just over an hour for Scunthorpe United on Saturday, as they earned first point of the season in a home draw with Sheffield united.

The Iron notched the first score of the game in the 60th minute when Leon Clarke headed in a ball into the lower right corner of the goal.

Sheffield, however, leveled the game in the 83rd minute as Neill Collins nailed a header of his own to delight the contingent of road fans.

The game was marred with rough play throughout, as both Michael Doyle and Ryan Flynn were sent off for Sheffield, the former after just 14 minutes and the latter in the 71st. Despite holding a man advantage for must of the game the Iron were unable to fully capitalize.

Scunthorpe's Tom Newey, David Mirfin, Christian Ribeiro, Niall Canavan, and David Prutton saw yellow cards.

The Iron take on Shrewsbury Town next week, while Sheffield United host Bury.

Hartlepool United 1 - 2 Carlisle United

Frank Simek was back in action, putting in a full 90-minute shift as Carlisle United beat Hartlepool United on the road in League One action.

James Poole opened the scoring for Hartlepool as his left-footed shot found the back of the net, giving them the crucial lead going into the half.

The Cumbrians though leveled the game in the 76th minute when Danny Cadamarteri scored a left-footed goal of his own from inside the box.

With just five minutes left in the game Matty Robson gave Carlisle the lead and the three points with a shot from just inside the box as well.

Sam Collins was booked for Hartlepool, while Neil Austin was sent off in the 79th minute for a second yellow. Peter Murphy and James Berrett saw yellow cards for Carlisle.

Hartlepool takes on AFC Bournemouth next week, while the Cumbrians play Swindon Town.

Oxford United 2 - 4 Exeter City

Jon Paul Pittman and Oxford United went down to Exeter City in League Two play, with the American attacker playing the final 30 minutes of the contest.

The first half was dominated by Exeter, who had goals from Jamie Cureton in the tenth minute and Scott Bennet three minutes before the half-hour to seemingly seal up the three points before the break.

Five minutes into the second half, Cureton made the score 3-0, but goals from Jake Forster-Caskey and Alfie Potter in the span of eight minutes - the former from the spot in the 55th minute and the latter three minutes past the hour - made the game interesting.

John O'Flynn did however put the game away in the 72nd minute with a right footed shot for Exeter, giving the team the final 4-2 advantate.

Forster-Caskey was booked for Oxford, while James Constable was sent off in the 81st minute for picking up a pair of yellows in rapid succession. Craig Woodman saw yellow for Exeter.

Oxford takes on Burton Albion next week, while Exeter hosts York City.


Robbie Rogers did not made the gameday lineup in Stevenage's 2-1 road win over Colchester City.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.