JOHN KRETLOW - Monday, January 31, 2011
Clint Dempsey led the way in a Fulham upset of Tottenham while Tim Howard and Everton fought to a draw with Chelsea in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Everton 1-1 Chelsea

Tim Howard and Everton nearly defeated defending champion Chelsea in the FA Cup but had to settle for a tie in the end and a replay next week at Stamford Bridge.

Howard started and went the full ninety minutes for the Toffees at Goodison Park.

After a scoreless first half from both teams, Everton got on the board first with a Louis Saha header from a Leighton Baines corner in the 62nd minute.

The Toffees nearly made it a two-goal lead when a Baines cross found a diving Seamus Coleman who was able to impressively head the ball, only for Chelsea goalie Petr Cech to brilliantly save his team from an FA Cup exit.

Minutes later in the 75th minute, a Chelsea counterattack finished in a Saloman Kalou goal, giving the visitors the crucial tying score.

Aston Villa 3-1 Blackburn Rovers

Brad Friedel and Aston Villa took out Blackburn Rovers from the FA Cup with a win over the weekend.

Friedel started in net and went the full ninety minutes for Villa, while Eric Lichaj did not feature. Jermaine Jones stayed on the bench for the Rovers.

It only took Aston Villa eleven minutes to get on the scoreboard after Claran Clark cleanly headed the ball past Rovers goalie Paul Robinson.

In the 18th minute though, Nikola Kalinic was able to score off of a Michel Salgado cross, getting the Rovers quickly back into the game.

Robert Pires then was able to score in the 35th minute for Villa after a missed chance to clear the ball from the area resulted in an impressive 15-yard volley for the former Arsenal man.

Just before half, Nathan Delfouneso headed home a cross from Nathan Baker, effectively ending Blackburn's FA Cup.

Villa's Baker was the only player booked for either team, receiving a yellow card in the 62nd minute.

Fulham 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur

Clint Dempsey and Fulham impressively routed Tottenham to advance in the FA Cup this weekend.

Dempsey started and went the full ninety minutes for the Cottagers.

It only took Fulham ten minutes to open their account after Dempsey was taken down in the box, winning a penalty for the home team. Danny Murphy easily slotted home the opening goal of the game.

Only three minutes later Murphy scored off of another penalty kick after Michael Dawson was sent off for taking down Moussa Dembele in the area.

Things got worse for Tottenham in the 23rd minute when a Damian Duff corner kick was initially flicked on by Andrew Johnson and eventually found Brede Hangeland, who easily scored from three yards.

Dembele capped off the scoring with a blistering 20-yard shot to beat Tottenham goalie Heurelho Gomes

Fulham's Duff received a yellow card while Rafael Van der Vaart was cautioned for Tottenham. Dawson was sent off for Tottenham early in the first half.

Norwich City 0-0 Crystal Palace

Zak Whitbread and Norwich City tied Crystal Palace in Championship play this weekend.

Whitbread started and went the distance for the Canaries.

The one point won by Norwich puts them currently in an automatic promotion spot, but the Canaries leave the game knowing they should have beaten a lowly Crystal Palace squad.

Palace nearly surprised Norwich with a counter-attack opportunity. James Vaughan was inches from scoring after Sean Scannell's cross found the Everton loanee.

City's leading goal scorer nearly gave them the win in the final moments of the game but his kick blazed over the bar, leaving the Canaries to settle for the tie.

Vaughan and Alex Marrow received yellow cards for Palace while Andrew Crofts was booked for the Canaries.

Hull City 0-0 Queens Park Rangers

Brad Guzan and Hull City tied league leaders Queens Park Rangers in Championship action.

Guzan started for the Tigers as he has since arriving on loan from his parent team Aston Villa.

Both teams left the game frustrated, with QPR failing to increase their lead in the standings while Hull could not creep closer to a playoff spot.

In the 12th minute, Rangers nearly got on the score sheet after Guzan mistimed a corner, leaving Matt Connolly an easy chance to score. The defender though was unable to capitalize and missed from close.

The dying minutes saw a clear chance for the Tigers to leave the game with three points, but Matty Fryatt missed an easy chance in front of goal.

The Tigers' James Harper received the only yellow card of the game for either team.

Carlisle United 2-2 Oldham Athletic

Frank Simek and Carlisle United were held level by Oldham Athletic in a League One encounter.

Simek started and went the distance for the Cumbrians.

An inspired effort by Carlisle saw them climb back after falling behind by two goals in the second half.

Aiden White coolly slotted home a Chris Taylor cross in the eighth minute, giving Oldham the lead.

Taylor this time headed a goal after a White cross found him in the 33rd minute, stunning a sluggish Carlisle.

After the break, the Cumbrians noticeably changed their play and nearly scored when American fullback Simek volleyed a shot that went just wide.

Bernard Zoko though finally put Carlisle on the board when he cleanly connected off of a Ben Marshall cross in the 75th minute.

The Cumbrians were rewarded for the second half effort when the referee gave Carlisle a penalty kick chance three minutes into added time.

James Berret barried the pressure filled penalty and gave United a point for their comeback effort.


Stuart Holden played the final 15 minutes for Bolton in their tie against Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup.

Jonathan Spector did not feature in West Ham United's 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Robbie Findley also did not make an appearance for Nottingham Forest.

Anton Peterlin did not feature in Plymouth's loss to Bournemouth.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Jesse Marsch has claimed a personal accolade as he's been named Coach of the Year in Austria.
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria