GARETH MAHER - Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Ryan Guy was unable to help St. Patrick's Athletic reach the FAI Ford Cup final as they lost narrowly to Shamrock Rovers in a tense semi-final replay.

After earning another shot at reaching next month's final at Aviva Stadium, Guy was pumped up and ready to take on Dublin rivals Rovers for the second time in the space of three days.

The San Diego native once again started up front alongside Danny North, although he was afforded few opportunities to add to his overall tally of nine goals this season.

Nevertheless, Guy was still sharp whenever the ball did get played into his feet and he showed his awareness in just the second minute of play when he fed a ball through to Derek Doyle, but the winger blasted his effort over.

David McAllister then forced Rovers keeper Alan Mannus into a fine save and Guy headed just wide after he rose highest to meet a cross from Dave Mulcahy. Up at the other end, Billy Dennehy threatened for the visitors.

Then the game turned when Saints captain Damian Lynch was sent off for dragging Gary Twigg back and Dessie Baker was just off target with the resulting free-kick. But Rovers didn't have to wait long to score.

On 70 minutes, Chris Turner did well to control the ball before unleashing a wicked shot that flew into the back of the net. That proved to be enough to settle this fiery contest and dump the Saints out of the cup.

The game was spoiled by scenes at the end when supporters from both ends stormed onto the pitch and clashed - something which will be investigated by the clubs and the Football Association of Ireland.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The final stretch of the English league season is upon us, with several Americans on the verge of relegation with their teams.
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal
YA lineup prediction vs. T&T
vom Steeg lands at Fortuna