MEGHAN BRENNAN - Friday, June 11, 2010
Mikkel Diskerud and Stabaek's Norwegian Cup dreams are over after a stunning upset while Hunter Freeman and Start advance to the next round.

Stabæk 3 - 3 Tønsberg (3-4)

Mikkel Diskerud and Stabæk didn't receive the welcome home party they had envisioned after six weeks away from Telenor Arena, as penalty kicks resulted in the round three Norwegian Cup loss to 2. Division Tønsberg.

Tønsberg, who play two levels below Stabæk, have now taken down two Eliteserien powerhouses in a row. Vålerenga, who currently sit at the top of the Eliteserien rankings in third, fell victim to the Tønsberg's sharp shooting in round two.

Midfielder Aksel Duus scored the lone goal of the first half and put the 2. Division squad on the board first. In the 17th minute Christian Østil chipped a ball to Duus on the 16 yard line whom chested and volleyed it in.

In the 56th minute the hosts tied up the match when Daniel Nannskog found the ball on the left side of the box and dished it to Jorgen Skjelvik who scored from 17 meters out.

It was again Skjelvik who helped the hosts take the lead, this time with an assist in the 61st minute. Skjelvik broke away with a run down the right side and crossed the ball to Espen Hoff, waiting back post to make the scoreboard read 2-1.

But a tireless Tønsberg fought back when Sverrir Hilmar Gunnarson battled two Stabæk defenders, passed off to Jimi Akinyemi who fired and scored to tie it up at two goals a piece.

In extra time both teams scored, first a 103rd minute goal by Tønsberg's Einar Kalsæg from 16 yards out followed by a 104th easy tap-in by Bernt Hulsker.

To penalty kicks the game went, where Tønsberg scored four to Stabæk's three official knocking the 2008 Eliteserien Champions out of Cup contention.

Stabæk and the rest of the world take pause during the World Cup international break. They resume play the fifth of July against a 12th ranked Eliteserien Molde at Telenor Arena.

Start 2 - 0 Sandnes Ulf

Hunter Freeman and the rest of IK Start have Christer Kleiven to thank for securing two goals and another cup appearance after 70 scoreless minutes against 1. Division Sandnes Ulf at Sør Arena.

Freeman started on the back line, played a full 90 minutes and was shown yellow in the 65th for a late tackle.

With the exception of two Start chances in the 23rd and 28th mintues and a solid peformance by Sandnes Ulf keeper Bo Andersen, the first 45 minutes at Sør arena were uneventful.

After the halftime whistle blew however, two entirely different teams took the field as shots were taken in rapid succession.

This included a pair of chances by both teams in the 64th and 67th minutes. Start created an opportunity first off a Kleiven to Mads Stokkelien pass that found the striker unmarked just eight yards out and resulted in the shot sailing over the cross bar.

Just three minute later an Espen Maldal diving header to the near post, off a free kick, almost put the 1. Division Sandens-Ulf on the board, if it weren't for the cat like reactions of Start keeper Kenneth Høie.

In the 71st and 74th minutes, Start saw their efforts come to fruition with two Kleiven goals. The former deflected a header from three yards out and the latter a full volley from 20 yards, both which sailed past a Andersen and punvhed Start's ticket to round four of the cup.

Knut Tørum's squad go on international break for the World Cup and resume Eliteserien play on July 4th against Haugesund on Norway's west coast.


A county owned and operated Sarpsborg stadium was closed and unavailable for their round four Norwegian Cup game against Hønefoss due to a worker's strike. Steve Clark and Kenneth Di Vita Jensen will match up against fellow American Colin Burns following the international break at a date yet to be determined.

Joseph Bednik was left on the bench as the reserve goalkeeper as 1. Division Sogndal shocked Molde.

Tyrel Lacey continues his battle back from a knee injury and did not take part in Lyn's 2-4 loss to Stromsgodset.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Jesse Marsch has claimed a personal accolade as he's been named Coach of the Year in Austria.
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria