Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Two goals in the first 12 minutes paced St. Johnstone to an upset victory of Maurice Edu and Rangers on Tuesday evening at frigid McDiarmid Park in Perth.

Edu was brought on at halftime in place of the ineffective Kevin Thomson. Fellow American DaMarcus Beasley was a surprise omission from the gameday roster.

It was the second loss in three games for Rangers who looked all out of sorts from the very beginning and the Saints made them pay early on with a goal in the sixth minute.

Celtic loanee Cillian Sheridan helped out his parent club when he volleyed home a shot from that bounced off of both posts before rolling in.

Five minutes later, St. Johnstone doubled the margin and this time it was midfielder Chris Millar doing the damage with a sweeping right-footed shot from outside the penalty area that clipped the shoulder of Rangers defender David Weir leaving goalkeeper Allan McGregor wrong-footed and helpless as the ball stung the back of the net.

Rangers were able to halve the lead just five minutes after Millar's strike when Sasa Papac received a pass from Steven Davis and fired in a shot from the left side of the area.

The goal hardly rattled the home team who calmly continued their attack against the normally potent Rangers defense.

In the 35th minute, Millar played the role of provider and set up team leading scorer Liam Craig with a perfect cross that was aided by yet another Rangers defensive deflection.

The former Falkirk man rose up above the Light Blues defenders and sent in a header that grazed off of Lee McCulloch before rolling into the back of the net to give St. Johnstone a shocking two goal lead going into halftime.

Edu's entry into the match on the left flank was coupled with Rangers head man Walter Smith taking off striker and SPL leading scorer Kris Boyd for Kyle Lafferty in hopes of shaking up things up front.

But the switch made no differene as Rangers were foiled time and time again by the Saints' back line.

St. Johnstone added their fourth and final goal of the match in the 78th minute after Edu was whistled for a foul outside the Rangers penalty area.

Daniel Graingers free kick was crossed over from the right wing where English defender Michael Duberry was there to head it over to countryman Daniel Grainger who poked in the shot from close range to complete the shocking rout.

Despite the defeat, Rangers still own a 10 point lead over second place Celtic.

Edu and Beasley will hope to return to their winning ways on Sunday when they return home to host Hamilton.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Jesse Marsch has claimed a personal accolade as he's been named Coach of the Year in Austria.
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria