DAVID SMITH - Monday, January 25, 2021
Zack Steffen surrendered a goal but Manchester City was able to pull off a late comeback to earn the win over Cheltenham Town and move on to the next round of the FA Cup.

Cheltenham Town 1-3 Manchester City

Three unanswered goals in the late stages of the game helped Manchester City avoid the upset as they went to beat Cheltenham Town at the Jonny Rocks Stadium.

Pep Guardiola gave Zack Steffen the start between the sticks for the Citeh as they dominated a majority of the game, but had to work hard to get the result.

The visitors put immediate pressure on the Cheltenham goal, but their goalkeeper Joshua Griffiths was on top of his game as he made several saves to keep the game scoreless.

Steffen didn't have much work to do on his end, but that would change in the second half when the host took a shock lead on the hour mark. Ben Tozer's long throw-in gave some trouble to Manchester City defenders as it was headed by George Lloyd before Alfie May ran into the six-yard box unmarked to poke the ball home.

The League Two side were nine minutes away from pulling off one of the biggest upsets in the cup competition, but the visitors found the goals to end that Cinderella story.

Phil Foden grabbed the equalizer in the 81st minute when he volleyed home a cross from Joao Cancelo. That was followed up three minutes later when Gabriel Jesus connected on a lobbed pass from fellow Brazilian Fernandinho to take help City take the lead.

Ferran Torres got the visitors an insurance goal in stoppage time when he tapped home a low cross from Ilkay Gundogan.

A near scare for Manchester City, but in the end, they showed they were too strong.

It's now on to the fifth round of the cup where they will face Swansea City.


In other action from the FA Cup, Christian Pulisic played 70 minutes as Chelsea advanced following a 3-1 win over Luton Town.

Tim Ream started while Antonee Robinson was out on suspension as Fulham was dumped out after a humiliating 3-0 loss to Burnley.

Owen Otasowie watched on from the bench as Wolverhampton Wanderers booked their place in the fifth round following a 1-0 win over Chorley.

Alex Mighten played the final 15 minutes as Nottingham Forst were knocked out of the competition following a 5-1 loss to Swansea City.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.