KENYA BROWN - Tuesday, June 30, 2020
Christian Pulisic had another strong outing for Chelsea as they made the necessary adjustments to knock off Leicester City to advance to the semifinals of the FA Cup.

Leicester City 0-1 Chelsea

It took a second-half goal from Ross Barkley to set Chelsea on course to a semifinal date with Manchester United at Wembley Stadium as they defeated Leicester City at the King Power Stadium.

Christian Pulisic, who has been on a tear since returning to the first team from injury, started for the Blues and played 72 minutes before being substituted as due tightness in his calf.

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard made several changes to his team following their 2-1 win over Manchester City at mid-week in hopes of keeping the momentum going. However, he would be left frustrated as his team struggled in the first half and were lucky that Leicester did not capitalize.

The visitors were let down by some slopping passing in their own end that saw Leicester given several chances to open the scoring. Yoeri Tielemans had an excellent chance when he intercepted a pass from Billy Gilmour to take a crack from distance. Willy Caballero was forced to parry the ball out of danger.

The host again put Chelsea's goal under threat minutes later when Benjamin Chilwell's free-kick found Jonny Evans in the area. However, his effort sailed wide of the mark.

Despite a poor first half, Chelsea came close to scoring when Mason Mount threaded a pass to Pulisic in the area, giving him an opportune chance. The young American's shot was goal bound, but Kasper Schmeichel flew off his spot to make a spectacular save.

Frustrated by their performance in the first half, Lampard went his bench early to make much-needed changes. And it paid off after the hour mark when Willian's cross into the area found Barkley who steered the ball home with a right-footed volley.

Despite the mounting pressure from Leicester to find the equalizer, Chelsea was able to hold on for the win and advance to the next round.


DeAndre Yedlin came on to play the final 15 minutes for Newcastle United as they were dumped out of the tournament by Manchester City in a 2-0 defeat.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Jesse Marsch has claimed a personal accolade as he's been named Coach of the Year in Austria.
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria