KENYA BROWN - Thursday, October 27, 2016
Julian Green capped off his first professional appearance for Bayern Munich with a goal, while Bobby Wood bagged two goals for Hamburg in the second round of the German Cup.

Bayern Munich 3-1 Augsburg

Bayern Munich head coach Carlo Ancelotti said Julian Green would play over the next few games and the young forward repaid his boss by scoring a goal in the Bavarians win at the Allianz Arena.

Ancelotti decided to rotate the team for the cup tie as many of the regulars have been playing since the start of the season.

Bayern did not waste any time as they scored their first goal on the night in the second minute. Captain Philipp Lahm collected a pass from Thomas Muller, pass the ball between the legs of a defender and then unleashed a shot that Augsburg goalkeeper Marwin Hitz had no chance of stopping.

It would take some time for the home side to find their second goal, but it was well worth the wait as Green put away his first competitive goal for Bayern Munich in the 41st minute. Muller would put his cross into the area from the right side and the young German-American rose up and headed his effort past Hitz to the far post.

Entering the second half and Augsburg had an excellent chance to pull one back when Bayern defender Mats Hummels was judged to have brought down Gojko Kacar for a penalty. Koo Ja-cheol stepped up to take the penalty, but it was saved by goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.

Bayern would later have their chance to convert a penalty after Georg Teigl was called for a handball, but Muller skied his shot over the cross bar.

The game would get tighter as Ji Dong-won cut Bayern's lead to 2-1 in the 68th minute. Koo's long ball from Augsburg's end found Ji, who toyed with Jerome Boateng before unleashing a left-footed shot past Neuer.

However, Bayern would restore their two-goal lead three minutes into stoppage time through David Alaba. Auturo Vidal, who entered the game from off the bench like Alaba, would pass the ball to the Austrian and he would fire his shot from just inside the area to beat Hitz.

Bayern now move on to the third round where they will face Wolfsburg at home.

Hallescher FC 0-4 Hamburg

Bobby Wood returned to his goal scoring ways as he bagged two goals to help Hamburg to a comfortable win at the Erdgas Sportpark.

It has been a rough time for Hamburg in the league as they have only collect two points from eight games so far. Wood has also struggled recently after scoring the team's two goals early on in the season. After the sacking of their head coach following their 1-0 loss to Bayern Munich in the league, the forward has made appearances from off the bench.

However, after this performance, Wood could see himself back in the starting eleven come the weekend.

Hamburg scored their first in the eighth minute on a counter-attack. Filip Kostić's pass found Wood who would powered his way past two defenders and chipped his shot over Hallescher goalkeeper Fabin Bredlow.

Wood grabbed his second goal two minutes before the halftime whistle when he collected a pass from teammate Matthias
Ostrzolek, turned on his marker and fired his shot from just outside the area to beat Bredlow.

Pierre Lasogga scored Hamburg's third goal in the 57th minute. Bedlow did well to make the save on Ostrzolek's initial shot, but the rebound fell at the feet of Lasogga who tapped it in.

Hamburg rounded out the night by scoring a fourth goal in the 82nd minute. Gian Luca Waldschmidt, who just entered the game for Wood, ran on to a pass from Michael Gregoritsch and got his shot past Bedlow.

The win should be confidence booster for Hamburg as they return to league action this weekend.

As for the cup, they will face FC Köln in the third round.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2-0 Stuttgart

Fabian Johnson scored a goal and notched an assist as the Foals walked away winners over Stuttgart at Borussia Park.

The home side scored opened the scoring in the 31st minute. Patrick Herrmann would play a pass up to Andre Hahn from midfield which was then back-heeled to Johnson, who fired his shot past goalkeeper Mitchell Langerak.

Mönchengladbach had a chance to double their lead three minutes into the second half when Johnson gave Hahn a great opportunity to score, but his weak attempt was stopped by Langerak.

The Foals finally got the second goal they needed to ice game in the 84th minute when Johnson found teammate Lars Stindl, who blasted his shot past Langerak from outside the area.

Mönchengladbach now advance to the third round where they will face Greuther Fürth.


John Brooks started for Hertha Berlin, while Fabrice Picault came off the bench for St. Pauli as the capital advanced to the next round with a 2-0 win.

Timothy Chandler entered the game during stoppage time for Eintracht Frankfurt, while Alfredo Morales did not dress of Ingolstadt as Frankfurt advanced on penalties after a scoreless game.

Andrew Wooten started and scored a goal as Sandhausen beat Freiburg on penalties after a 3-3 tie.

Jerome Kiesewetter played the final 10 minutes in Fortuna Dusseldorf's 6-1 loss to Hannover.

Christian Pulisic did not dress, but Borussia Dortmund went on to beat Union Berlin on penalties after a 1-1 tie.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.