MATHEW WAGNER - Tuesday, February 10, 2015
John Anthony Brooks and Hertha BSC won their first match under an interim coach, while Bobby Wood was victorious in his debut with Aue.

1. FC Mainz 05 0 - 2 Hertha BSC

In the first match under interim coach Pal Dardai, John Anthony Brooks and Hertha BSC picked up three points at Mainz on Saturday.

Brooks returned to the starting lineup after sitting on the bench in the midweek and was paired up with captain Fabian Lustenberger in the center of defense. The American center back went the distance in the win.

Both teams struggled trying to create anything going forward in the opening half an hour, and it took a big mistake by Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius for the match to change.

In the 32nd minute, Karius received a back pass on the ground from Gonzalo Jara but held onto the ball for too long, allowing Valentin Stocker to pressure him into turning the ball over on the line. Karius felled Stocker, picking up a straight red card, and after a three-minute break, Jens Hegeler converted the penalty.

Another mistake by Mainz gave the Old Lady the opening for its second goal in the 43rd minute. Jara turned the ball over deep in his own half to Julian Schieber, who passed to Stocker. The Swiss midfielder shot into the left post, and the rebound bounced to Roy Beerens in the middle of the box for an easy tap into the wide-open net.

Things became interesting in the second when Lustenberger picked up two yellow cards by the 58th minute to be sent off, allowing Mainz to get back into the match, but Hertha's defense held strong to pick up the shutout.

With the win, the Old Lady moved out of the relegation zone and into 14th place, and it returns to action next Sunday against Freiburg.

FC Augsburg 2 - 2 Eintracht Frankfurt

Tim Chandler and Eintracht Frankfurt came back from a two-goal deficit to steal a point at Augsburg on Sunday.

Chandler returned to Frankfurt's starting after missing the Adler's 1-1 tie with Wolfsburg in the midweek because of a yellow card suspension. The American right back recorded his sixth yellow card of the season on Sunday.

Set pieces played a big role in the first half, as all three goals came off free kicks. The first occurred in the seventh minute when Frankfurt's Haris Seferovic failed to clear away a Halil Altintop free kick, and the ball bounced to Ragnar Klavan. Standing in the middle of the box, the defender fired his nine-yard shot into the back of the net.

In the 37th minute, the Fuggerstädter doubled their lead when Altintop launched a free kick from the right wing into the box. At the near post, Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker, who came on for the captain Paul Verhaegh in the 17th minute because of an injury, headed the ball further along across the box. Raul Bobadilla met the ball at the far post and used his left foot to put it on net, with Frankfurt's Marco Russ unable to stop the ball from crossing the line.

The Adler managed to pull one back in the second minute of first-half stoppage time, thanks in part to a little bit of luck. Takashi Inui sent in a free kick from the right, and Alexander Meier redirected the ball toward goal. Augsburg goalkeeper Alexander Manninger blocked it, but the ball ricocheted off Callsen-Bracker, who was standing at the left post, and went to Stefan Aigner. At three yards out, Aigner had an easy tap-in for the goal.

Frankfurt pressed for an equalizer in the second half, and the team got it in the 70th minute with the match's first goal from the run of play. Altintop turned the ball over at the halfway line to Carlos Zambrano, who launched a long pass behind the Augsburg defense. Alexander Meier ran onto the ball and beat Manninger on the breakaway for his league-leading 14th goal of the season.

The rest of the match went without incident, and the teams split the points. With the tie, the Adler stay in ninth place, and they return to action next Saturday against Schalke.

Erzgebirge Aue 2 - 0 RasenBallsport Leipzig

Bobby Wood's debut in Aue was a victorious one as Aue picked up a big win over Leipzig on Friday.

Wood made his first start with the Veilchen (Viola) since transferring to Aue earlier last week and played 68 minutes.

The American forward played a big role in setting up the opening goal in the 45th minute. Inside the opposition's half but well away from goal, Wood released Arvydas Novikovas on the left wing, and the Lithuanian dribbled into the box to take a shot. His attempt ricocheted off the crossbar and fell to Selcuk Alibaz, who volleyed the ball into the back of the net from 14 yards out.

Things became worse for Leipzig in the 58th minute, when Tim Sebastian committed a handball in the 18-yard box on a cross. This earned the Veilchen a penalty, and Patrick Schönfeld stepped up to score his first goal of the season.

From that point, Aue cruised to the three points, which moved Aue out of last place in the 2.Bundesliga thanks to a better goal differential than St. Pauli. The Veilchen travel to Düsseldorf next Friday for their next match.

SpVgg Greuther Fürth 0 - 1 FC Ingolstadt 04

Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt picked up right where they left off before the winter break with a win in Fürth on Friday.

Morales started once again in central midfield for the Schanzer.

Ingolstadt controlled much of the first half, enjoying more possession and looked the more dangerous team going forward. The Schanzer took advantage of this to take a lead in the 30th minute in a situation where the Cloverleaves couldn't clear the ball. First, Ingolstadt's Tobias Levels crossed into the box, and a clearance went to Lukas Hinterseer, whose shot was blocked by his own teammate, Stefan Lex. The rebound went to Pascal Groß, and he made sure to squeak his shot to the right of Fürth keeper Wolfgang Hesl for the goal.

That goal proved to be all Ingolstadt needed, as Fürth's offensive issues continued. The Cloverleaves haven't scored a goal in 546 minutes after the loss to Ingolstadt.

With the win, the Schanzer increased their lead atop the German second division to eight points, and they will look to add to that when they host Sandhausen next Saturday.

SV Sandhausen 0 - 0 FC St. Pauli

In a relegation six-pointer, Andrew Wooten and Sandhausen couldn't distance themselves from St. Pauli on Saturday.

Wooten started and went the distance at forward for the Hardtwälder.

St. Pauli enjoyed a majority of possession in the first half and really took it to Sandhausen in the opening 15 minutes, but the Buccaneers blew a couple of good scoring opportunities.

Sandhausen, meanwhile, didn't get a shot on net until the 68th minute. Late in the second half, the home team created its best chances of the match, but couldn't find the back of the net. Wooten's volleyed shot in the 74th minute missed, while St. Pauli's Lasse Sobiech blocked Aziz Bouhaddouz' shot in the 79th minute to preserve the goalless draw.

With the draw, Sandhausen kept 14th place, and the Hardtwälder face Ingolstadt next Saturday.


Fabian Johnson dressed but didn't play in Mönchengladbach's 1-0 loss to Schalke on Friday.

Multiple 3.Liga matches were cancelled because of weather. Royal-Dominique Fennell and the Stuttgarter Kickers' matchup with Halle will be rescheduled, while Jerome Kiesewetter and Stuttgart II will play their match with Wehen Wiesbaden at a later date.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.