MATHEW WAGNER - Sunday, October 19, 2014
Terrence Boyd made his debut for Leipzig, while Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt opened up a bigger lead atop the 2.Bundesliga standings with a win.

1. FC Nuremberg 1 - 0 RasenBallsport Leipzig

Following a two-month absence at the start of the season because of a knee injury, Terrence Boyd made his debut for Leipzig, but it wasn't enough as Nuremberg scored a late goal to secure a win on Friday.

Boyd played the final half hour for the Roten Bullen, who missed a chance to get into a promotion place with a loss.

The first half passed without much incidence, as Leipzig pressed forward before couldn't get the ball in dangerous situations in order to attack the Nuremberg goal. Things didn't become exciting until the 60th minute, when the game started to open up.

Der Club finally broke the deadlock in the 74th minute. Following a give-and-go with Jakub Sylvestr, Niclas Füllkrug cut the ball back from the edge of the 18yard box to Alessandro Schöf, who let fly a shot from distance that squeezed inside the right post for a goal.

After the goal, Leipzig tried everything to score an equalizer, including putting four forwards on the field, but in the end, the Roten Bullen couldn't trouble the Nuremberg net.

With the loss, Leipzig dropped into fifth place, and the team returns to action next Friday against Bochum.

1. FC Union Berlin 3 - 1 SV Sandhausen

Andrew Wooten and Sandhausen gave up three goals in the second as Union Berlin completed a comeback on Sunday.

Wooten started and went the distance in an attacking midfielder role for coach Alois Schwartz.

In a match that meant a lot in terms of the relegation battle, Union started the match tentatively, and the away team took advantage of that and opened the scoring in the 24th minute. Off a controversial free kick for Sandhausen, Lernt Paqarada launched a cross from the right wing to the far post, where Seyi Olajengbesi headed home from five yards out.

Union Berlin didn't respond until early in the first half, but when the Iron Ones did, they really responded. Before the 60th minute, Union equalized and took the lead thanks to goals from Sebastian Polter in the 52nd minute and Soeren Brandy through an eight-yard header in the 59th minute.

On its back foot, Sandhausen never bounced back, and the home team controlled from that point. Union put the match out of reach in the 80th minute when Maximilian Thiel set up Polter for his second goal of the match.
The loss put Sandhausen into the relegation-playoff position in 16th place, and the team returns to action next Sunday against Aue.

FSV Frankfurt 0 - 1 FC Ingolstadt 04

Alfredo Morales and Ingosltadt set a new 2.Bunesliga record with 18-matches unbeaten on the road and padded their cushion atop the 2.Bundesliga with a win in Frankfurt on Sunday.

Morales started and went the distance in central midfield, as he has done all season for the Schanzer.

Ingolstadt needed just one good play to get the goal it needed for the win. In the 19th minute, Frankfurt's Vincenzo Grifo failed to clear a cross that came into the Bornheimer's 18-yard box. The ball fell to Ingolstadt defender Teodoro Danilo 21 yards away from net, and the Brazilian picked out Lukas Hinterseer, who chested the ball into the back of the net from seven yards out.

From that point, not too much of consequence occurred, with Ingolstadt struggling passing in the final third and Frankfurt staying compact in defense. This suited the Schanzer well enough, though, as they picked up the necessary three points.

With the win, Ingolstadt moved to four points adrift of second-place Kaiserslautern, and the Schanzer return to action Sunday versus Heidenheim.

VfB Stuttgart II 5 - 1 Stuttgarter Kickers

Jerome Kiesewetter and Stuttgart's reserve team shellacked Royal-Dominique Fennell and the Stuttgarter Kickers in the Stuttgart derby on Saturday.

Kiesewetter played 75 minutes in central midfield and recorded a yellow card for the Roten, while Fennell went the distance in central defense and also recorded a yellow card, his fourth of the year, for the Blauen.

The fireworks started early, as the Blauen opened up the scoring in the 14th minute when Daniel Ginczek's right-footed shot found the back of the net. In the 32nd minute, the Kickers equalized, as Elia Soriano scored on a sideways scissor-kick.

The Roten turned the match completely in their favor, scoring three minutes before and after the break. Marvin Wanitzek blasted a right-footed shot into the right side of the net in the 42nd minute, and Timo Baumgärtel hammered home a Wanitzek corner in the 48th minute to give VfB II a two-goal margin.

Those goals spurred on the Roten, culminating in two more goals in the second half. Wanitzek added his second goal of the match off a chipped shot in the 72nd minute, and then ex-Kikcer Marco Grüttner poured salt into the Kickers' wounds by finding the back of the net in the 87th minute.

The win pushed Stuttgart II to seven points above the relegation zone, and the Roten return to action next Saturday at Unterhaching. The Kickers, meanwhile, fell out of a promotion spot to sixth place, and they will attempt to get back into one when they host Energie Cottbus next Saturday.

Holstein Kiel 3 - 0 Hallescher FC

Marc Heider and Kiel cruised to an easy win over Halle on Saturday.

Heider started and went the distance on the right wing for the Storks, who stayed in 11th place but sit just five points out of a promotion spot.

Both teams' best chances in the early going came through standard situations, but it was the Storks who made the most of theirs. In the 33rd minute, forward Manuel Schäffler headed in a corner to give Kiel the lead. The goal energized Kiel, and it took just six minutes for the Storks to double their lead, once again through Schäffler.

With a two-goal advantage coming out of halftime, Kiel took it to Halle early in the second half. Halle eventually became more dangerous on offense through set pieces, but its best chance bounced off a post. Instead, Kiel put the match away in the 87th minute, as Schäffler completed a hat-trick.

The Storks return to action next Saturday against Chemnitz.


John Anthony Brooks was a 70th minute substitute in Hertha BSC's 2-0 loss in Gelsenkirchen versus Schalke on Saturday.

Fabian Johnson played the final 15 minutes of Mönchengladbach's 3-0 victory over Hannover on Saturday.

Julian Green returned to Hamburg's 18, but the forward/winger didn't come off the bench in the Dino's 1-1 draw with Hoffenheim on Sunday.

Tim Chandler stepped onto the field for the final 22 minutes of Eintracht Frankfurt's 3-1 loss to Paderborn on Sunday.

Bobby Wood stepped off the bench for the final four minutes of 1860 Munich's 4-1 loss to Erzgebirge Aue on Sunday.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.