BRENDAN WIMBERLY - Monday, March 17, 2014
It was a disappointing weekend for Americans in Holland, as Juan Agudelo, Aron Johannsson, and Charles Kazlauskas were all relatively quiet.

Twente 2 - 1 AZ

Aron Johannsson failed to find the back of the net for the first time in three games as AZ fell on the road to Twente.

Twente took hold of the game from the start, but the visitors took a shocking 1-0 lead into halftime.

Steven Berghuis lined up a free-kick from the top of the penalty area and curled a sizzling left-footed shot around the wall and off the hands off Twente keeper Nick Marmsman. Despite getting his hands on it, Marsman simply deflected the shot into the back of the net, giving AZ the lead in the 40th minute.

Johannsson was substituted in the 60th minute without supplying anything of much note.

Twente scored a deserved equalizer in the 69th minute. Dusan Tadic sent a cross to the far post where substitute Youness Mokhtar was waiting, and coolly tapped home a finish to make the score 1 - 1.

Just as it looked like AZ might steal a point, Tadic scored the game-winner three minutes into stoppage time for Twente. This time Mokhtar found the Serbian international at the edge of the penalty area and Tadic took on touch before finessing a nice left-footed shot past AZ's helpless goalie Esteban Alvarado.

AZ travel to Anzhi in Europa League play this Thursday, holding onto a 1-0 win from the first leg.

NEC 2 - 2 Utrecht

Juan Agudelo worked his way back into Utrecht's starting lineup this weekend, as they were able to grab an away point against NEC.

Agudelo helped generate a few opportunities for teammates, but wasn't able to pick up a goal or an assist on the afternoon. The American striker also picked up a yellow card in second-half stoppage time.

Davy Bulthuis put Utrecht up in the 22nd. The defender got on the end of Tommy Oar's free-kick and headed it into the net for the 1 - 0 lead.

It didn't last long though, as Michael Higdon nodded home a Ryan Koolwijk free-kick just two minutes later to make it 1 - 1 in the 24th minute.

With a little luck, Utrecht took the lead back just before halftime. Jens Toornstra attempted a low cross for Steve De Ridder in the 44th minute, but the Belgian striker couldn't clip the ball with his back foot. Instead, it kept rolling towards the back post, and eventually just inside the net to give Toornstra his 11th goal of the season.

NEC tied it up again in the 60th minute. Christoph Hemlein's languid cross bounced through the box to Jakob Jantscher who volleyed it in from 15 yards out to secure a point for NEC.

Utrecht are off until March 28th, when they face NAC Breda.

Helmond Sport 1 - 1 Fortuna Sittard

Charles Kazlauskas played the whole game for Helmond, as each team scored a second-half goal and the game ended in a tie.

Patrick N'Koyi put Fortuna on top in the 58th minute. The Congolese striker broke free from the Helmond backline and fired a shot right underneath the crossbar to put the hosts up 1 - 0.

Ferry de Regt equalized for Helmond in the 82nd minute with a header off of Jeffrey van Nuland's corner.

Serhat Koc nearly grabbed the win for Helmond in second-half stoppage time, but the striker was denied by Fortuna keeper Ferhat Kaya, as Helmond were unable to grab the win despite putting five shots on net compared to Fortuna's two.

Helmond have now tied their last four games, and have gone unbeaten in their last five. They are back in action next Friday against Telstar.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.