SCOTT PETERSON - Monday, March 17, 2014
Fabian Johnson came up short with Hoffenheim against Mainz in the German top flight, while Andrew Wooten's Frankfurt got the better of Alfredo Morales' Ingolstadt in the 2.Bundesliga.

Hoffenheim 2 - 4 Mainz

Fabian Johnson and Hoffenheim blew a two-goal lead in the second half to lose against Mainz.

Johnson put in 87 minutes of work for Hoffenheim, who conceded three goals within eight second-half minutes.

Things looked rosy for Hoffenheim after taking a two-goal lead through former Mainz product Eugen Polanski, who connected on a thunderous effort from distance in the 47th minute, before Roberto Firmino slotted home from 18 yards five minutes later.

Mainz began their improbable comeback 15 minutes later as Eric Choupo-Moting reacted quicker than Johnson to Stefan Bell's cross to redirect into goal in the 67th minute.

The contest was level in 73rd minute on a strange goal: Hoffenheim's Niklas Süle attempted to clear the ball from his own area, made flush contact but hit Benedikt Saller's thigh, which redirected the ball past Koen Casteels into the back of the net.

The comeback was complete two minutes later on a more conventional goal: Choupo-Moting crossed and found Shinji Okazaki, who was faster than Andreas Beck and headed home. Okazaki then closed out the scoring in the second minute of second-half stoppage time tapping in a clinical counter attack.

Hoffenheim will try to snap their two-game losing streak next Saturday when they visit Leverkusen.

FC Ingolstadt 0 - 1 FSV Frankfurt

After ripping off a five-game unbeaten streak, Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt were finally defeated falling to Andrew Wooten and FSV Frankfurt.

It came to an unexpected duel of Americans in Ingolstadt as the sporadically used Wooten made his first start of the year, while Morales manned his usual defensive midfield role.

In a contest bereft of notable attacking action, it took a solo effort by Matthew Leckie to break the deadlock.

The speedy winger collected a pass on the right flank, sped past one defender and deked another, before duping keeper Ramazan Özkan for the eventual game winner in the 29th minute.

Both teams are in action next Saturday as Frankfurt and Wooten do battle at home with Fortuna Düsseldorf, while Morales and Ingolstadt travel north to Hamburg to take on Sankt Pauli.

Stuttgart Kickers 0 - 3 Chemnitz

Royal Fennell started for the Kickers, who were on the losing end at home for the first time in nine matches losing to Chemnitz.

Fennell put in 90 minutes of work for the Swabians.

Maik Kegel opened the scoring in the 15th minute as his effort took a wicked deflection past the Stuttgart netminder into goal.

Ronny Garbuschewski doubled the advantage for the guests ten minutes later, burying his long-range effort into the upper 90.

Anton Fink finished the scoring two minutes from time as the diminutive German converted a free kick from the edge of the area.

Fennell and Stuttgart are back in action on Friday when they travel to Dortmund to take on BVB II.

John Anthony Brooks was an unused substitute for Hertha Berlin, who fell 3-0 to Hannover.

Matt Taylor made a late cameo in Munster's 2-0 defeat to league-leaders Heidenheim.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.