SCOTT PETERSON - Tuesday, August 6, 2013
Round 1 of the German Cup saw Timmy Chandler and Nuremberg fall, Jermaine Jones and Schalke struggle, but progress, and Matt Taylor snag the game winner.

Preußen Münster 1 - 0 FC Sankt Pauli

Matt Taylor played hero once again for Munster in the German Cup, scoring the golden goal to put the Lower Saxons in the second round and send 2.Liga team Sankt Pauli packing.

After notching a hat-trick in last year's thrashing of Bundesliga outfit Werder Bremen, Taylor and Münster knew first hand that anything was possible in the domestic cup.

Spurred on by 15,000 of the home faithful, Munster made it clear from the onset that no tackle was too much, nor any ball lost. The size of the fight leaps and bounds greater than either side's technical acumen, both squads failed to produce anything noteworthy in attack in the opening 20 minutes.

After coming close in the 21st and 26th through Mehmet Kara and Taylor, midfielder Grote stripped Nehring and promptly fed the American, who converted unmolested from six yards out in the 31st minute.

Munster had chances to put the game away, but their defense held on for the upset despite heavy pressure from Sankt Pauli.
Taylor and Munster are back in 3.Liga action on Saturday, hosting Erfurt.

FC Nöttingen 0 - 2 FC Schalke 04

Jermaine Jones and Schalke had their hands full, but still progressed over 5th division squad Nöttingen on Monday night.

It was unclear in the run-up to the cup tie if Jones would be fit enough to play after picking up a back knock in the pre-season; Jones went the full 90 and was instrumental in Schalke's victory.

The classic David verse Goliath affair was decidedly in favor of David in the first 30 minutes. The 5th division semi-pros thoroughly dominated the full-blown pros, hitting the bar once in the fourth minute through Mario Bilger, before repeating the feat 15 minutes later via Holger Fuchs.

The only thing that managed to slow down the squad from the Oberliga was the obligatory water break. This gave Jones a chance to round up his troops and give them an ear full. And his pleas paid immediate dividends.

A mere five minutes after the brief break, Christian Fuchs whipped in a cross from the left that newly acquired striker Adam Szalai dummied, leaving it to Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, who thumped it home from close range.

Undeterred, Nöttingen continued its improbable dominance over Schalke with excellent chances in the 51st, 52nd, 60th and 88th minutes.

It wasn't meant to be, however, and Schalke's individual quality was the difference as Huntelaar and new acquisition Leon Goretzka hooked up in the game's waning moments with the latter sealing the victory for Schalke in the 89th minute.

Schalke and Jones open the new Bundesliga campaign on Sunday versus Hamburg in Gelsenkirchen.

VfR Neumünster 2 - 3 (A.E.T.) Hertha Berlin

John Anthony Brooks and Hertha Berlin were forced into extra time before eventually knocking off VfR Neumünster thanks to Sami Allagui's last minute heroics.

Brooks put in the full 120 minutes in the central Berlin defensive ranks alongside Sebastian Langkamp.

The heavily favored pros from the Bundesliga shockingly went behind by a goal after five minutes as Michel Harrer beat keeper Thomas Kraft, finding the back of the net on a free kick from twenty yards out.

Berlin struck back in the 16th minute as Aenis Ben-Hatira finished off a clinical attacking move from close range after Allagui set up the Tunisian for a tap in, before the duo teamed up again for the lead on the half-hour mark.

The underdogs drew level in the 59th minute thanks to Marcel Ndjeng's botched clearance attempt that fell to Christopher Kramer, who stuffed the ball home into an empty net.

The game remained knotted up after regulation. With the match poised to end tied up at two, Ben-Hatira was fouled in the box and Allagui buried the ensuing penalty to put Berlin in the next round.

Brooks and Berlin open up the 2013-2014 Bundesliga campaign on Saturday versus Eintracht Frankfurt.

FC Heidenheim 3 - 4 (PSO) 1860 Munich

Bobby Wood started for 1860 Munich, who needed penalties to knock off 3.Liga squad Heidenheim.

Wood put in 64 solid minutes of action pairing up with Benjamin Lauth in the Munich attack.

The opening stanza offered more passion than substance, offering a chance a side. The hosts were thwarted by keeper Gabor Kiraly in the 31st, before his opposite number, Rouven Sattelmaier stuffed Lauth on a breakaway in the 44th minute.

In the 50th minute, Wood found himself in space on the right flank, crossed and found Moritz Stoppelkamp in the box, who calmly slotted home from close range.

With time winding down, the hosts put the ball in the back of the in the 83rd minute, but had the effort waived off for offsides.
In the game's final minute of regulation, however, Heidenheim struck through Tim Göhlert, who lost his marker and headed home Marc Schnatterer's corner.

After neither side could produce a winner in extra time, Munich had the requisite luck to advance in a penalty shootout.

Wood and Munich are back in 2.Liga action on Friday as they travel to Dusseldorf for a match versus Fortuna.

Sportfreunde Baumberg 1 - 4 FC Ingolstadt

Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt put a disastrous start to the year behind them, picking up their first win over 4th division side Baumberg.

After dropping the first two contests in 2.Liga play, Ingolstadt picked up two former Bundesliga midfielders in attack-minded Tomas Hajnal and defensive enforcer Almog Cohen, who both lined up in the starting 11 with the former pairing up with Morales in front of the backline.

The aforementioned Hajnal did not need long to display his quality as he fired Ingolstadt in front in the 15th minute on a fantastically taken free kick.

Cohen then showed what he can bring to the proverbial table by picking out Christian Eigler with a perfectly weighted long-ball.
The scoring chance was initially denied by the woodwork, but the rebound fell to Ümit Korkmaz, who easily nodded the ball into an open net in the 42nd minute.

The hosts halved the deficit in the 52nd minute through Sebastian Schweer, but all belief was deflated in the 77th minute after Caiuby finished off a determined attacking move by the guests.

After Christian Beckers was sent off on a second bookable offense in the 82nd, Ingolstadt had acres of space and added the game's final tally in the 89th minute through Manuel Schäffler, who buried a left-footed shot from close range.

Morales and Ingolstadt will look to carry their new-found momentum into the 2.Liga as they host Karlsruhe on Saturday.

Neckarsulmer SU 0 - 7 FC Kaiserslautern

Andrew Wooten got the start in Kaiserslautern's thrashing of 6th division team Neckarsulmer.

Wooten, who has yet to see any meaningful playing time in the 2.Liga, put in an hour of work for Kaiserslautern in the first round of the German Cup.

Kaiserslautern initially had a tough time breaking down the 6.Liga team, until Mo Idrissou opened up the scoring in the 28th minute from the spot.

The deadlock broken, the 2.Liga side from the German Palatinate attacked with a vengeance and doubled their lead through Marcel Gaus' header in the 37th minute.

Just a single minute after the restart it was three as Karim Matmour pounced on a loose ball in front of the goal.

Gaus grabbed a second in the 66th after Florian Dick picked him out with an incisive pass, while substitute Olivier Occean converted a cross by heading home from seven yards out in the 76th.

Sixty seconds later the Canadian Occean repeated the feat by heading a Stöger corner into the back of the net to make it six.

Kaiserlautern finished the day's scoring in the 84th minute as keeper Marcel Susser saw a Dominique Heintz cross slip through his fingers and land at Idrissou's feet and the Cameroonian striker had no difficulty punching the loose ball home.

Kaiserlautern and Wooten are back in action on Monday against Greuther Fürth.

SV Sandhausen 4 - 3 (PSO) FC Nürnberg

Timothy Chandler and Nuremberg were upset by second division team Sandhausen in penalties.

Chandler put in a full shift ahead of next week's Bundesliga opener.

Nuremberg took the lead in the 27th minute as Robert Mak slipped a through ball to striker Daniel Ginczek, who kept his cool and nutmegged keeper Manuel Riemann for the 1-0 lead.

Sandhausen, who has yet to score in the 2.Liga, got off the snide thanks after Chandler wrestled Julian Schauerte to the ground in the box. It was Schauerte, as well, who stepped up to the spot and converted.

After nothing was decided in 120 minutes of play, penalties ensued and Sandhausen keeper Riemann emerged the hero stopping two spot kicks to put the underdog through to the next round.

Chandler and Nuremberg will look to bounce back as they travel to Hoffenheim on Saturday in their Bundesliga opener.


Fabian Johnson did not make the bench for Hoffenheim's 9-0 victory over SG Aumund-Vegesack.

Michael Parkhurst dressed, but failed to see the field for Augsburg, who knocked off RB Leipzig 2-0.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.