SCOTT PETERSON - Monday, July 29, 2013
Bobby Wood and Matt Taylor both made the starting lineups for their respective clubs this past weekend in Germany's second and third tiers respectively, with each tasting some measure of success.

1860 Munich 2 - 1 FSV Frankfurt

Bobby Wood started for 1860 Munich on Sunday as the Löwen picked up their first victory of the year by knocking off Frankfurt.

After starting last week's loss versus Sankt Pauli on the bench, Wood got the nod over Canadian Rob Friend in attack, partnering up with ex-Captain Benjamin Lauth.

The match was truly a match of two halves as the first 45 saw little on the field other than sweltering heat that exceeded triple digits.

The game's only chance of note in the opening stanza came about thanks to some excellent technique by Wood, who in a single, fluid motion chested a tweener cross, before slipping the ball onto Lauth's pass; Lauth pulled his effort just wide.

The match pace picked up considerably in the second frame. Munich nearly went in front in the 49th minute, but Moritz Stoppelkamp got his angles wrong, pushing his curling shot wide of the target.

Completely against the run of play, and with considerable luck, the guests from Frankfurt opened the scoring in the 53rd minute as Matthew Leckie took an optimistic shot from 30 plus yards out that Munich defender Kai Bülow deflected past keeper Gabor Kiraly.

Undeterred and exuding confidence, the Löwen dusted themselves off and doubled down in attack. Their determination and focus was rewarded just two minutes later as Lauth connected on Stoppelkamp's low cross to find the far right corner of the net.

With time winding down and the game still knotted at a goal apiece, Stoppelkamp sent the Munich faithful into a frenzy as he powered home a right-footed shot from the edge of the area to secure 1860 its first win of the season.

Up next for Wood and 1860 Munich is a Friday date versus 3.Liga team Heidenheim in the German Cup.

RB Leipzig 2 - 2 Prueßen Münster

Matt Taylor and Preußen Münster missed out on maximum points versus RB Leipzig on Saturday, settling for a point in 3.Liga action.

Taylor assumed his usual place in the Munster frontline, where he put in over 90 minutes of action before being subbed off late.

Coming off of a victory in their opener, Munster knew that they would have their collective hands full with a Leipzig team that is built for a run to the highest echelons of German soccer.

It was no surprise that the host came out with their proverbial guns ablazing, taking all of 60 seconds to threaten the Preußen goal. If not for catlike reflexes by keeper Daniel Mausch Leipzig's Daniel Frahn would have found the back of the net.

Mausch could do nothing five minutes later as Frahn was gifted all the time in the world by Dominik Schmidt to get off a bounding shot, which powered its way into the back of the Munster net in the sixth minute of play.

With the lead and due to sweltering temperatures that necessitated regular water breaks, Leipzig took their foot off the gas slightly ever so slightly, which was all Munster needed to get back on level terms before the break.

Benjamin Siegert displayed all the qualities a goal scorer in the 3.Liga requires to be successful: grit, strength and a bit of luck. The Munster midfielder employed all three to slip past his marker and toe poke the ball past keeper Fabio Coltorti in the 45th minute.

The second half started the same as the first with the hosts seizing the initiative and posing a sustained threat to the Munster goal.

In the 59th minute substitute KAMMLOT helped restore the lead for Leipzig by playing Bastian Schulz in behind the Preußen ranks. Schulz then confidently flipped the ball past Mausch to make it 2-1.

As the game wore on, the effect of the heat was even more tangible. Sluggish and exhausted, and with time running out, it seemed that neither team would be able to muster up the verve for one last concerted effort on goal.

Having come on as a sub just six minutes prior, Rogier Krohne had the legs and the mental wherewithal to force his way past his marker and connect on a header for a somewhat fortuitous equalizer in the 81st minute.

Taylor and Munster are back in action next week as the German Cup, the DFB Pokal, kicks off with Munster hosting second division club Sankt Pauli on Saturday.


Neither Alfredo Morales nor Andrew Wooten saw any action as the former served his one-match ban for Ingolstadt, while the latter failed to make it off the bench for Kaiserslautern; Kaiserslautern won the affair 3-1.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.